简体中文
繁體中文
English
Pусский
日本語
ภาษาไทย
Tiếng Việt
Bahasa Indonesia
Español
हिन्दी
Filippiiniläinen
Français
Deutsch
Português
Türkçe
한국어
العربية
요약:The Dominican Republic's top prosecutor said on Tuesday that the Caribbean nation's largest drug trafficking gang has been dismantled.
More than 40 raids were carried out across the Dominican Republic in connection with what authorities called the country's largest drug-trafficking gang.
Among those arrested were two former Major League Baseball players who official say were involved in laundering assets.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
SANTO DOMINGO (Reuters) - The Dominican Republic's top prosecutor said on Tuesday that the Caribbean nation's largest drug trafficking gang has been dismantled, a group that allegedly used two former professional baseball players to launder assets.
Former Major League Baseball pitcher Octavio Dotel was arrested earlier on Tuesday, while Luis Castillo, also a former player, was named by authorities as being part of the gang.
More than 40 raids were carried out across the country in connection with the case, according to Dominican Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez, who said US agencies took part in the investigation.
Rodriguez told reporters at a news conference that the case marks the largest anti-narcotics operation in the recent history of the Dominican Republic.
He said the gang allegedly run by nightclub owner Cesar Emilio Peralta controlled one of the region's biggest drug trafficking operations, transporting illicit drugs including cocaine from South America to both the United States and Europe.
Rodríguez said Tuesday that police are actively pursuing Peralta, also known as “César the Abuser.” Rodríguez said 18 other people were linked to the network, “including athletes and baseball players Octavio Dotel and Luis Castillo.”
The attorney general called it “the most important drug trafficking structure in the region” and said that Peralta created a complicated system of companies to hide the origins of his assets, using his family members and social circles, “including two sports figures in the Dominican Republic.”
Reuters could not immediately locate Dotel, Castillo or Peralta, or their lawyers, for comment.
(Reporting by Ezequiel Abiu Lopez; writing by David Alire Garcia; editing by Michael Perry)
면책 성명:
본 기사의 견해는 저자의 개인적 견해일 뿐이며 본 플랫폼은 투자 권고를 하지 않습니다. 본 플랫폼은 기사 내 정보의 정확성, 완전성, 적시성을 보장하지 않으며, 개인의 기사 내 정보에 의한 손실에 대해 책임을 지지 않습니다.